Tips for Extending the Lifespan of Your Electronics
- Add memory to your computer. It is cheap and easy to do.
- Perform a “clean install” of your operating system every 3 years. This preventative maintenance can make your computer run as quickly as the day it was built. If you don’t know how, check with a tech savvy friend or professional.
- Old computers generally run best with old software; so avoid upgrading to the latest software unless you have a specific reason to do so (with the exception: Do update virus protection software).
- Defragment your hard drive on a monthly basis. Most computers have built-in utilities that can be set to defragment the hard drive regularly.
- Keep your PC out of direct sunlight and make sure there is good ventilation.
- Vacuum or used compressed air to clean the fan on the power supply and blow out dust bunnies from inside the computer.