Environmental Justice Inclusion Fellowship Spring 2016
(Twelve-month, Full-Time, Non-Exempt Position in New York, NY)
Your Mission: Make a difference by joining the nation’s most effective health visionaries.
Organization: The Center for Environmental Health (CEH) protects people from one of the most dangerous, least discussed health threats of our generation: the chemical industry’s virtual carte blanche to invent and expose us all to chemicals linked with cancer, obesity, infertility, developmental problems, and more.
Workplace: CEH’s engine is the twenty-five smart, committed, fact-driven advocates who come together every day to keep short-sighted business interests from harming people in the name of profit. We are proud of our work, and our workplace community. We support each other, we work hard, we win far-reaching victories for people’s health, and we have a pretty decent time doing it all. The people who join our team understand the effect on the world of: race, gender, class, homophobia, poverty, wealth, labor, and corporate hegemony. They are also strong. And funny. We have offices in Oakland (our headquarters) and New York.
Job Term: The Environmental Justice “EJ” Inclusion Fellowship is a one year, full-time, entry-level position that will run from June 6, 2016, through June 5, 2017. At the end of this term, the fellowship will end and a new fellowship may begin (filled by a new fellow.)
The Job: The EJ Inclusion Fellow will primarily support the work of the New York office to protect people from chemicals of concern. S/he will also support other work as needed.
You: We’re looking for an emerging leader to fill this entry-level position. Ideal candidates are from environmental hotspots, have experienced socioeconomic disadvantage, are the first members in their families to attend college, and are looking to build careers in social justice, environmental health, environmental justice, etc.
The Day-to-Day: This team member will:
• Conduct outreach to government and procurement officers about the hazards of flame retardant chemicals and other chemicals of concern;
• Research policy issues related to chemicals of concern and healthy energy;
• Provide administrative support, drafts, and delivers presentations;
• Help draft fact sheets and other communications tools;
• Research consumer products or other topics as needed;
• Participate in the organization’s work with coalitions;
• Help develop content for our website.
What You Need:
Demonstrated commitment to environmental justice, environmental health, and/or social justice
• BA degree, an AA with one year’s experience in an office setting, or a high school diploma with two years’ experience in an office setting
• Ability to complete a one-year fellowship from 6/6/16 through 6/6/17;
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
• Strong leadership and interpersonal skills;
• Excellent oral presentation skills;
• Comfort taking initiative;
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
• Ability to collaborate effectively with diverse groups;
• Interest in supporting CEH’s campaigns on an entry-level basis;
• Experience coordinating projects with multiple partners;
• Experience working directly with community members;
• Attention to detail;
• Time-management skills;
• Ability to meet multiple deadlines concurrently;
• Flexibility and ability to adapt to changing priorities;
• Proficiency with Excel, Word, Outlook, Power Point, and various social media platforms;
• Ability to excel in and contribute to a collegial and friendly working environment;
• Spanish language skills a plus.
Salary and Benefits:
• Salary competitive with entry-level positions in New York City environmental non-profits
• Health benefits
• Paid time off
So You Want the Job? Please follow these instructions:
• Compress into a single PDF (1) your cover letter, (2) your resume, and (3) a short additional writing sample
• Send these items to firstname.lastname@example.org in an email whose subject line is “FIRSTNAME_LASTNAME_Applicant for NY Environmental Justice Fellowship”
The application period closes 5/10/16 at 3pm sharp
CEH promotes equal opportunity and strongly encourages people of color, women, LGBTQ, and those from diverse backgrounds to apply.