Managing Director of ProgramsJob Announcement
Organization: Center for Environmental Health- Oakland
Position: Managing Director of Programs
New Position: Center for Environmental Health Seeks Expert Strategist to Protect People from Toxic Chemicals
For twenty years, the Center for Environmental Health has protected children and communities from toxic chemicals in food, water, air, and consumer products. Our new strategic plan calls for three programs – one that will reduce people’s exposure to endocrine-disrupting chemicals (EDCs) in the environment and consumer products, another that will protect people and the environment from toxic chemicals associated with fossil fuel extraction and use, and a final program intended to stop illegal toxic threats to people’s health. Please visit http://www.ceh.org/results/ to learn more about our history of accomplishments.
Our ideal Managing Director of Programs is a seasoned NGO campaigner and a strategic mastermind. Her/his job will be to lead the development of strategy for our three programs and ensure each program is operating effectively. This is a new and senior position; the person who fills it will participate on our leadership team.
We are looking for a skilled and experienced campaigner to help hone the way we pursue and achieve our mission. The ideal candidate will be a proven leader and mentor who can assess and creatively meet the day-to-day program needs of a growing, fast-paced nonprofit while creating and implementing effective and strategic work plans. This person will also have experience integrating strategic communications into successful work plans. S/he knows the environmental health field and is an effective public speaker who revels in opportunities to represent our organization and spread the word about our work.
The Managing Director of Programs will report to CEH’s Chief Executive Officer and will directly supervise the long-tenured, expert practitioners of our core strategies (science, policy advocacy, corporate partnerships, community partnerships, and litigation).
CEH is an intermediary environmental health organization that strives to honor the Principles of Environmental Justice. The person we select for this role will have a keen awareness of and clear commitment to environmental and social justice.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
The Managing Director of Programs will:
- Ensure the conception and implementation of strategic program activities as needed.
- Coordinate activities within and between programs to ensure they complement one another.
- Recommend changes in strategy and tactics as necessary.
- In partnership with program staff, lead the development of long-term work plans and provide intermediate and short-term strategic guidance and day-to-day support to the programs as needed.
- Help ensure each program integrates principles of environmental justice where possible and appropriate.
- As needed, train and coach program staff on the art of strategic campaigning.
- In partnership with program and communications staff, develop plans for programs’ communications.
- Regularly and actively represent CEH as a spokesperson at public events and with donors and the media and help program staff do same.
- Work closely with senior program staff and development department to ensure that the program sections of foundation materials are first-rate and submitted in a timely manner.
- Work closely with finance staff to create and manage budgets.
The successful candidate will bring the following qualifications:
- Eight years’ experience honing multiple tactics into sound strategies for effective activism
- Creativity – ability to conceive, clarify, vet, and select options for program strategies.
- Eight years’ experience (with at least five years as a leader) in successful NGO campaigns in organization(s) that use(s) multiple tactics, such as litigation, science, communications, traditional and new media, policy advocacy, and market-based campaigns
- Ability to identify opportunities and make connections across programs
- Ability to bridge local, state, and federal strategies
- Ability to find and exploit valuable environmental-health partnerships with the for-profit sector
- Experience integrating communications strategies into program strategy.
- Five years’ experience supervising staff
- Excellent leadership skills: listening, diplomacy, inclusive decision-making, etc.
- Master’s degree or equivalent work experience
- Experience working in the environmental health and/or environmental justice field
- Commitment to social and environmental justice, corporate accountability, and inclusion
- Experience providing effective support to a development team’s fundraising efforts.
- Initiative, energy, creativity, sense of humor, and a collaborative spirit.
- Preferred: experience running a frontline campaign
- Preferred: experience in and knowledge of effective campaigns against the fossil fuel sector
Compensation and Benefits
CEH offers a competitive salary that is commensurate with experience and an excellent benefits package. We offer a generous group health insurance package and 401(k) matching program.
The Best Benefit We Offer: Our Workplace
We are proud of our victories and protective of all-for-one-and-one-for-all workplace culture. We generously and compassionately support each other. We celebrate diversity in part because this is one of the tools that actively sharpens our perspective and strengthens our work.
Please submit the following materials: Cover letter, resume, writing sample (two pages maximum) along with contact information for three references including affiliation.
Merge these documents into a single PDF whose file name includes your surname, and email it to: firstname.lastname@example.org (subject line: Managing Director of Programs).
If you wish, please also fill out and submit CEH’s voluntary EEOC form here: http://www.ceh.org/wp-content/uploads/Voluntary-EEOC-form-CEH.pdf
We acknowledge receipt of all employment applications, and when we decide a candidate is no longer in the running, we notify her/him.
We are accepting applications until the position is filled.
The Center for Environmental Health is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage people of color and women to apply.