Tell Governor Brown: we have the right to know which cans contain BPA


Under California law, companies that make canned food knew more than a year ago that on May 11, 2016 they would be required to begin warning consumers if their products could expose us to the toxic chemical bisphenol A (BPA), which is often used in the lining of canned foods. Typically companies comply with this requirement by labeling products that contain BPA, or by eliminating BPA from their products. Past experience is that these warning would result in consumers receiving warnings on BPA-lined cans nationally because food companies won’t create two separate lines of canned food: one for California and one for the rest of the country.

This would create even more market pressure to eliminate BPA from food can linings. Some responsible companies have now eliminated BPA, but many less responsible food makers secretly complained to the state, and with no public input or comment, the Governor gave these companies a free pass to evade the law.

Now instead of product labels, the Governor ordered state regulators to adopt an “emergency rule” that allows these companies another 6 months to continue using BPA without labeling – and regulators say they are planning to give the companies as much as 18 months to continue putting our children and families at risk, without any way for us to know if their cans contain BPA. “Emergency regulations” do not require the normal notice that would have allowed CEH and other health advocates the opportunity to weigh in before the decision was made.

Governor Jerry Brown’s phone # (916) 445-2841

Sample statement:

(no need to recite this, the more you can personalize the call, the better!)

Hello, my name is __________ and I’m calling from (city). I’m calling Governor Brown about labeling canned foods that contain BPA. We want to know what’s in our canned food. I strongly urge the Governor to withdraw the emergency rule and insure that companies are required to warn us which specific cans contain BPA. The emergency rule must not be extended. Thank you.

You can also write to the Governor here.