Part-time Executive Assistant to the Director of Policy and Partnerships
Location: Triangle Area, NC
Status: Permanent, hourly employment (12 hrs/week); non-exempt
The Center for Environmental Health (CEH) is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization that protects people from toxic chemicals and promotes business practices that are safe for public health and the environment. We stop corporations from exposing people to toxic chemicals, we collaborate with leaders of responsible businesses and industry leaders, and we are committed to inclusive, community-led solutions that address environmental injustices in low-income communities of color.
We are an organization of around 25 smart, committed, science-driven advocates who come together every day to keep short-sighted business interests from harming people in the name of short-term profits. We are proud of our work, and we are protective of our workplace community. We support each other, we work hard, we strike big wins for people’s health, and we have a pretty decent time doing it all. The people who join our team understand the effects of: race, gender, class, poverty, wealth, labor, homophobia, and corporate hegemony on our health. We have offices in Oakland (our headquarters) and in North Carolina’s Triangle Area. CEH’s North Carolina-based Director of Policy and Partnerships (DPP) is looking for a part-time assistant. This position may work from home or out of a small home office in Hillsborough.
This is a part-time (12 hours/week), non-exempt position. The Executive Assistant to the Director of Policy and Partnerships (should present a professional image of the Center for Environmental Health in all internal and external contexts.
– Help DPP prioritize workload; track DPP’s commitments and priorities in a shared management system
– Serve as DPP’s delegate for work that does not require DPP’s attention
– Manage DPP’s complex calendar and serve as a resource for the staff to know DPP’s schedule
– Ensure clear and efficient communication between the DPP and CEH’s other staff
– Make travel arrangements and provide logistical support for DPP’s out-of-office appointments
– Serve as lead on all administrative items for the DPP
– Schedule team and coalition conference calls and manage meeting notes, action items, and team files
– Support efforts to communicate CEH’s work externally, including through social media
The DPP is looking for an experienced and high-performing executive assistant who sets high standards for him/herself and for those around him/her. The ideal candidate takes initiative, knows how to help a team succeed, communicates clearly and constructively, and knows when, where, and how to manage up. A “handler” who previously worked with politicians or on a political campaign, or non-profit is highly preferred.
– Minimum of 5 years’ experience directly supporting an executive or senior leader
– The ability to collaborate effectively with various teams, providing the most useful guidance in an enthusiastic and inspiring manner
– The ability to manage both up and down
– Commitment to protecting people from toxic chemicals
– Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills and political savvy to enable effective interactions with personnel at all levels of the organization and to appropriately represent the Director of Policy and Partnerships and CEH’s NC presence in a positive manner
– Excellent analytical and organizational skills, ability to make decisions quickly and independently
– Ability to take initiative, but also to accept direction and seek guidance appropriately
– Ability to communicate productively and effectively
– Ability to meet multiple deadlines and track multiple tasks concurrently
– Ability to work independently and as part of a team
– Proficiency with Excel, Word, Outlook, Powerpoint, Google Suite, Zoom, and social media platforms, namely Facebook and Twitter
– Ability to excel in and contribute to a collegial and friendly working environment
– Flexibility in work hours, including some evening and weekend work preferred
Salary will be commensurate with job and skill level. Benefits include health, vision, FSA, 401(k), vacation time, and personal time at 30% of full-time compensation.
Please prepare and compile the following application materials
– Cover letter
– Writing sample
– Name, affiliation, and contact information for three references
Please send materials by January 15, 2019, to: firstname.lastname@example.org (subject line: Executive Assistant to the Director of Policy and Partnerships). If passed the deadline, please contact CEH to confirm search is still open.
CEH promotes Equal Opportunity and strongly encourages women, LGBT, people of color and diverse backgrounds to apply.